Kale and Chickpea bites
Quick, easy and healthy – these Kale and Chickpea bites make a fantastic lunch or starter. They can easily be made Gluten free, by substituting the Panko bread-crumb coating for any gluten free alternative, such as rice-flakes.
These are rich in protein, and low in carbs. So go on, have another one!
- 2 cups kale, stalk removed and finely chopped
- 1 ½ cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- zest of 1 lemon
- salt flakes, ground black pepper
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 160°
- In a food processor add peas, chickpeas, kale, garlic, and 1 egg. Pulse until mixture is combined but still rustic. Add seasoning, herbs, parmesan and lemon zest and continue to pulse for a further 5 seconds.
- Line a baking tray with paper and add mixture, spreading it out with a spatula. Bake in oven for 10 minutes to dry out the mixture.
- While the mixture is in the oven, whisk the remaining egg.
- When the mixture is ready, form it into small balls, dip it in the egg wash and then roll the balls in the crumb.
- Deep fry in a vegetable oil for approximately 6 minutes or until the outside is golden and the inside it cooked.
- Serve with a garlic and lemon aioli.
- NOTE: To make aioli, combine ½ cup good quality mayonnaise with a minced garlic clove, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and seasoning.