Manchego cheese and potato cakes
Spanish Manchego cheese elevates the humble fish-n-chippery staple. A delicious winter-time side
1 kg Desiree potatoes
2 leeks, white part only, split, sliced and rinsed
2 whole eggs
2 tbs creme fraiche
3/4 cup coarsely grated Manchego cheese
1 tbs cornflour or teff flour
Chipotle mayonnaise, to serve (make by adding chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to regular mayonnaise)
- Bring potatoes to boil in a pot of cold, salted water and simmer, uncovered until just tender (about 25mins). Drain, cool, peel and coarsely grate.
- Heat a knob of unsalted butter and a splash of EV olive oil in a pan and sweat leeks for a few minutes to soften slightly. Season.
- Combine leeks and potatoes in a bowl. Beat eggs and crème fraiche together and fold into potato mixture with cheese and flour.
- Shape into sturdy patties, about 8 – 10cm diameter and 1.5cm thick.
- Heat a pan over medium heat, add a splash of oil and a small knob of butter and, when the butter has stopped foaming, cook the patties about 5 minutes a side, or until crisp and golden. Increase the heat for the last minute of cooking to make them extra crispy.
- Serve with a fresh coleslaw and some chipotle mayonnaise