Traditional Osso Buco
Our own family Osso Buco recipe – a favourite of the Toscanos winter table
2 knobs butter
500g finely chopped onion
1 large carrot, finely chopped
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
350g veal shanks or Osso Buco-cut beef
2 medium glasses dry white wine
3/4 cup beef or chicken stock
2 teaspoons fresh basil
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 tin whole tomatoes drained and chopped
4 tablepoons parsley leaves
2 bay leaves
3/4 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 175°c
- Fry onion, carrot, celery and half the garlic in butter in a pan for 10 minutes on a low heat, transfer mixture to a baking dish.
- Coat veal shanks (or Osso buco cut) in lightly salted flour and brown them in the pan used for the carrots, celery and garlic.
- When veal is browned lay them on the top of the onions, carrots ect in the baking dish.
- Add to the meat juices remaining in the pan, the chopped tomatoes, stock, wine, basil, thyme and half the parsley and bring to the boil.
- Tip the liquid over the shanks, cover with foil and bake in a pre-heated oven for 1 ½ hours.
- Combine the remaining garlic and parsley with the lemon peel and sprinkle over the top
- Serve with celeriac puree and green beans