Asparagus and Roast Garlic Soup
A sweet asparagus soup, with a good kick of garlic for good measure!
4 tbsp extra virgin olive
1 sprig fresh rosemary
4 cloves of roasted garlic (garlic cloves roasted in their skins at 200c until browned slightly and softened)
1 medium onion, finely sliced
450g fresh asparagus, cut
1 tbsp plain flour
850ml vegetable stock
Salt & freshly ground pepper
150ml single cream
- Heat 4tbsp of olive oil with a sprig of rosemary & cook the onions gently in a covered saucepan for 5 mins, remove the rosemary.
- Peel & finely chop the roasted garlic & add to the pan. Cook gently for a further 5 min, without colouring.
- Add the asparagus & cook gently for 2 min.
- Stir in the flour & cook gently for 2 min.
- Gradually add stock, constantly stirring.
- Cover, bring to the boil & simmer gently for about 15 – 20 min.
- Puree until very smooth. Pass through fine sieve to remove stringy fibers.
- Add the cream & reheat gently but do not boil, as the soup will curdle.
- Season to taste. Serve garnished with chopped parsley, lemon zest & garlic croutons.